Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Friday, May 27, 2005

Bolton

I have a confession to make. Actually a question, but one revealing enough that it could qualify. Who gives a hell about John Bolton? I mean, who cares about Mr. Moustache? Maybe I am just betraying my shameful ignorance on the role of UN ambassador, but honestly, what difference can it possibly make who is representing us at the UN? It’s the UN for Christ’s sake! Now, as a good liberal, of course, I do not share the right-wing obsession with eliminating the institution entirely. I guess they do some good. My sister is currently teaching at a school in Haiti and the only thing between her and being torn limb from limb by an angry mob is a well armed cadre of Nepalese, Canadian, and Brazilian UN soldiers. I’m sure there are all sorts of humanitarian efforts that achieve economies of scale through UN administration. In addition, military action is no doubt more palatable on the world stage if thoroughly approved by UN councils. And yes, I don’t think there’s much doubt about the fact that Bolton is a total jackass. But pardon me if I couldn’t give a rat’s ass about it. Aren’t there more important things to be doing? Like drafting health care legislation that Dems can get behind in ’06 and ’08? Like hammering Bush ball-peen style on Social Security? Like bitch-slapping the Dems who voted for that bankruptcy atrocity? Like busting GOP Senators for outright hypocrisy for threatening to filibuster stem-cell legislation? Like choosing what carpeting to put in the Capitol rec room?

If there is anything of interest me in this battle over his nomination, it is the fact that the Dems, by delaying the vote once again, seem to have grabbed the momentum after it was sort of up for grabs there in the aftermath of the Gang of 14 deal. I have to believe this is a good thing. First, Senate Dems need to be unafraid to flex whatever muscle is available to them with at only 44 strong. Also, I doubt that charges of obstructionism will have any effect here, because I just don’t think anyone really cares about this. Stem cell research is something that you could make hay by claiming obstructionism, but the UN ambassador? Please. We pol junkies sometimes have to take a tiny step back and realize that 75% of the country probably never even heard of Bolton. So make the guy a political football and kick him around a little. Dems should be confident on this one.

Anonymous said...

I FIND IT SHALLOW TO BASE INSULTS ON ONE's PERSONAL APPEARANCE! AND YOU'RE UGLY!

This blog is based on a true story.