Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Drive By

I saw about five minutes of some mindless program on the tube a few weeks ago and it's troubled me ever since. Some standard-issue beautiful people were playing charades (and watching this are the same people who say baseball is boring?) and up came "Got Caught Doing a Drive-By" as the thing to act out. This is what caught my eye and why I lingered on the program for four minutes and fifty-five seconds longer than I normally would have (mission accomplished?). As they played the game and mimed "Drive-By," the actors were laughing about what they were doing. Now how on earth is a "Drive-By" an acceptable thing to be miming on TV in front of kids? There is nothing funny or interesting or amusing about "Drive-bys." A "Drive-By" is when someone propels a slug of metal at another human being in hopes that it will tear open their flesh and cause their life to end. For some perspective, what if the charade came up "Strangled a Prostitute in a Hotel Room?" What then? It's sad that in a land with literally millions of middle-class black people, we feel compelled to fuel this ridiculous gangsta-movie myth that sticking a gun out a car window and killing people is just part of life.

This blog is based on a true story.