Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Monday, October 24, 2005

MTV

Does MTV hate music? I can understand if a channel supposedly based on music runs some original programming during primetime, or after school, or on Saturday mornings, or whenever the heck people watch TV, but the execs at MTV have simply taken it too far. Next time you have a minute, scroll through your TV schedule and check out the lineup on either MTV or VH1. What you’ll see is about 14 consecutive episodes of My Super Sweet Sixteen, 8 episodes of Road Rules Vs. The Real World, 10 of Pimp My Ride, 6 of Room Raiders, 6 of The Real World and whatever other refuse they are producing these days. This comprises about 99% of the current lineup. Tucked somewhere in there is (maybe) a half hour of Total Request Live, during which they show partial (!) versions of the day’s most requested videos. I guess people just call in their favorite songs, because I’m not sure how anyone would have gotten a chance to see the video beforehand to decide they’d want to see it again. On VH1 they have the 2:00 am to 4:00 am block of videos. But I’m not sure MTV even has that anymore. Who cancelled Insomiac Theater? Honestly, when are these videos being shown that people can decide which one to request? It just boggles my mind that even at 3 o’clock on a Tuesday morning, they’re airing out a 7 week old episode of My Super Sweet Sixteen, a show so utterly loathsome that I’d rather my eleven year old daughter watch live footage of naked people shooting each other in the head.

This blog is based on a true story.