Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The News

Two stories I’ve been sort of following lately: the ongoing investigation into the outing of a covert CIA operative, and the John McCain/Colin Powell/anybody-with-an-ounce-of-integrity vs. BushCo anti-torture amendment fight. My 50 yard line for these two stories are Talking Points Memo and Andrew Sullivan, respectively. My prediction: both of these stories will end badly for the Bush administration. This prediction of mine will come as no surprise to some of my readers. “You hate Bush!” they’ll say. “You’re rooting against him.” Well, I do, and inasmuch as I’m rooting for my beloved USA I suppose the second accusation would be true as well. But even so, no matter how objectively I try to view Bush’s situation, there’s no escaping the fact that the dude is just in a world of shit. Katrina, this Harriet Miers fiasco, fiscal conservatives jumping ship one after another, torture, Social Security, absolutely awful poll numbers, the specter of indictments swirling re: the Plame case, the stink of graft surrounding DeLay, Abramoff, and the rest, and on and on. Any way you slice it, it’s ugly

This blog is based on a true story.