Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Monday, December 11, 2006

Let down

The pundit class, claiming that the great mass of unwashed has in some way let its government down, keeps verbally shivving the American public for their lack of support for war. Leaving aside the more general question of whether it is even possible for a populace to let down its government, how could this be true? I wonder how it could be that I myself, now standing in as representative for the public, was the great obstacle between my (MY!) government and glorious victory in Iraq if I was NOT EVEN ASKED to support the war effort in any material way. I'm not talking about wilfully believing the propaganda and clapping loudly for my heroes and other such poppycock that these TV warriors think is important. I mean real, actual support like paying higher taxes, working longer hours, going without certain products, in other words, MOBILIZING FOR WAR. No one ever asked me to do this. No one, I don't believe, even suggested it. And if no one ever asked me to change my lifestyle in order to support a war effort, how on earth could I have ever let anyone down??? But instead of tax increases, we got tax cuts. Instead of rationing goods, we got orders to go shopping. We weren't being asked to support the war, WE WERE BEING ASKED TO IGNORE IT.

My answer would still have been no, by the way.


This blog is based on a true story.