Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Thursday, July 07, 2005

First Reactions

Professional asshole Brit Hume of the state-run Fox News propaganda network had a slightly different reaction to this morning's London bombing than the rest of us. Instead of lamenting the loss of life, he wanted to call his broker! Hey Brit, I've got an idea! Let's sell a whole buttload of futures short and then go bomb a subway in a major city! We'd make lots of money for sure! "And in other news, is George Soros a traitor for making his fortune on the declining dollar? More on The Big Story with Jon Gibson."

HUME: Well, maybe. The other thing is, of course, people have -- you know, the market was down. It was down yesterday, and you know, you may have had some bargain-hunting going on. I mean, my first thought when I heard -- just on a personal basis, when I heard there had been this attack and I saw the futures this morning, which were really in the tank, I thought, "Hmmm, time to buy." Others may have thought that as well. But you never know about the markets. But obviously, if the markets had behaved badly, that would obviously add to people's sense of alarm about it. But there has been a lot of reassurance coming, particularly in the way that -- partly in the way the Brits handled all this, but also in the way that officials here handled it. There seems to be no great fear that something like that is going to happen here, although there's no indication that we here had any advance warning.

Via Atrios, via Media Matters.

This blog is based on a true story.