Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Hizbollah in Lebanon

I'd like to know how Power Line would answer this question: Is the elected government in Lebanon a manifestation of a rising tide of freedom or a victory for terrorists?

Hizbollah, the Shia Muslim militant group long regarded as a terrorist organisation by Washington, won a direct foothold in Lebanon's government for the first time last night.
I do not presume to know the answer to this question myself, but I would imagine that claiming Lebanon's status as evidence of freedom's being "on the march" would not be contingent on the results of legitimate elections. Nevertheless, Hizbollah has won some key posts and certainly an increase in political influence. I would not even begin to argue that Hizbollah is not a terrorist group, but my question remains.

Actually, I really would like if someone reasonable tried to answer this for me. As far as the guys at Power Line are concerned, I just wanted to see smoke come out of their ears.

This blog is based on a true story.