Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Friday, July 15, 2005

Interview With Egyptian Foreign Minister

Check out this interview with Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul-Gheit regarding Egypt's diplomatic intentions in Iraq following the murder of Ambassador Ehab El-Sherif.

...when it comes to diplomacy, I believe the best way to avenge Ehab El-Sherif's murder is for Egypt to stay the course with its mission in Iraq -- because that was the mission El-Sherif aimed to serve when he went to Baghdad in the first place. Egyptian diplomacy's regional and international role will not be undermined by such heinous acts, and Egypt will not be terrorised. As for other measures to be duly decided by the state, Egypt is perfectly capable of avenging the killing of its diplomats overseas, whether in Iraq or Islamabad. Our goal is not revenge: I want to stress this point. We want to right the wrong that has been done.
Sounds like he's tiptoeing on the razor's edge between defending his nation's interests and distancing himself from any possibility of Egyptian military action in a fellow Arab nation. I guess he's just doing what he has to do. Meanwhile, pardon me if I'm doubtful that Egypt will come through anytime soon with a replacement ambassador.

This blog is based on a true story.