Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Evolution And Science

One thing that's always struck me about evolution and ID is that there's nothing particularly special about evolution that it would require supervision whereas other phenomena wouldn't. ID could be applied to any number of processes that God is "guiding," from digesting one's food to the nuclear reactions at the center of the sun to the relationships described by calculus. I don't see any push to give thanks that God keeps 1 and 1 equalling 2 every new day, at least not yet. I suppose you could say that, but once you get past the "God's world is a beautiful world" part, what's the point? Is this really about stopping what we're doing at regular intervals, shouting "Praise the Lord," and then getting back to work?

Since there's nothing about evolution that's all that different from other scientific discoveries, I suppose we should expect other theories to fall under the ID microscope. (God is making the image appear larger, Praise His Holy Name.) I hear that now the fundamentalists are even reviving geo-centrism. My reaction to that is what they heck have they been waiting for? Let's go people! I want alternate "explanations" for gravity, electricity, brain function, chlorophyll, you name it. Of course, ID isn't an explanation at all, but an anti-explanation. Its main goal is to put a halt to disinterested inquiry of any kind. Once God has been credited with responsibility, then why go on? We know how it happened. God did it. Hell, why even go to school?

This blog is based on a true story.