Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Kanye West

Listening to Family Business off Kanye West’s The College Dropout. There is a section toward the beginning of the second verse where Kanye blends voice, music and samples so perfectly that the first thing I thought of was Brian Wilson. At first I resisted weighing a relative newcomer against such a legend, and yes the comparison between Kanye’s samples and Wilson’s vocal arrangements is probably a stretch, but the fact that it is not completely out of the question (at least in my mind) continues to surprise me. Good stuff from Kanye.

Anonymous said...

You know who else is like that? Sting. Have you written about him? I love Sting!

This blog is based on a true story.