Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Thursday, June 30, 2005

US and India

U.S. is more closely allying itself with India. To my mind, this is puts pressure on bordering nuclear powers China and Pakistan and I've got to believe that this is a good thing. I would think that this type of passive aggressive posturing is generally effective. By strengthening a military and economic alliance that would make sense even without the strategic benefits, you disguise the fact that this is probably the strongest move against powerful potential enemies that the U.S. could possibly make at this point. It makes so much sense it’s almost a no brainer, so I’m not sure why I’m even praising the move. But then again, this is the Bush Administration we’re talking about. I wonder what the other world powers will make of this decision. Surely they will see through it as a tactical manoeuvre. Should we expect to see new meaningful alliances between them?

Cameron said...

My worry is that this is a reative manoeuvre. The Chinese have been establishing themselves all over the energy-producing world as a more beneficial uncle than the U.S. If the American response to that is to put pressure on the Chinese homeland, I can only see this as hamfisted. In any case, though, developing a close relationship with India seems to me to be worthwhile in itself.

This blog is based on a true story.