Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Thursday, June 09, 2005

www.one.org

Is anyone else freaked out by that commercial where celebrities wearing white t-shirts appear on the screen one after another to say now’s our big chance to end hunger and poverty forever? Let me quote Dr. Evil on that one, “Riiiiiight.” What the hell are they talking about? I try to listen to what they’re saying, Tom Hanks , Dennis Hopper and Jamie Foxx draw me in, but then Al Pacino, and Benecio Del Toro (did someone actually call him a poor man’s Brad Pitt?!?!) lurch onto the screen with haggard, flashlight-to-the-chin chiaroscuro and horrify me back to the point of bewilderment. So I’m back to square one. And now here’s Pat Robertson! They must have had to put him in a different hotel from the rest of the Hollywood celebrities. I’m thinking the producers of the commercial stuck him in there unbeknownst to anyone else involved, trying to Lysol the slight lefty aroma of the rest of the lineup with a bit of bi-partisanship. For your average wingnut, seeing Pat Robertson’s prayerful mug right in the middle of a Hollywood induced froth is like taking a foaming pot of boiling potatoes off the range – instant calm. I’m glad they got Tom Hanks to say “we’re not asking for your money” at the end, because otherwise I wouldn’t have believed it. Actually, I still don’t believe it. I'm sure some of these guys are serious about this, but it seems to me like an excuse for celebrities to wear wristbands.

Anonymous said...

That is a strange gropup of folks... As in, one of these kids is not like the others...

This blog is based on a true story.